"My favorite pastime is letting time pass, having the time, taking my time, wasting my time, living out of time- against the current. " -Francoise Sagan

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Will Ferrell and I

We both share the birthday of July 16th. However, I'm sure we're not the only ones... even if that's what I like to believe.
The truth is I am extremely selfish about my birthday. I do not like to hear that other people are born on 'my' day. This does not make me happy or feel like I have some kind of kinship to the person. In fact, I feel like it can't be true, and that they actually are not born on the fabulous July 16th. Once it is July I proudly exclaim that it is my birthday! The whole month is a month of jubilee, so once the 16th has passed that does not in any way mean the celebration is over.. oh no, not at all.
However, this year I only realized how close my birthday was about 4 days ago. Which is rare, very rare. Since I always proclaim only 15, or 14 or 7 days 'til my birthday, every day! Or I say things like, next month it will be my month. Or my month is almost over. Is motherhood to blame for this shift in self importance? Who knows, but I hope it doesn't last. I like insisting on being celebrated. I think it's very childlike. Annoying too... but still. So in honor of my ego and beautiful birthday, Happy Birthday to me.

No comments: